...so I went anyway. I guess either the news was wrong or the storm has yet to come, as the rainfall was actually relatively gentle other than a couple sudden downpours. I took tons of photos (up on my facebook currently, and can be seen here and here) and tons of video, which I will hopefully edit up for a youtube video tonight.

So suffice to say, Shinjuku Gyoen is beautiful. It is also much larger than I expected, I ended up walking around the entire outer circuit and much of the inner pathways, and now see that the outer circuit alone is 3.5 kilometers long, so I suppose I mistakenly got my exercise in today!
Unlike most parks in Tokyo, Shinjuku Gyoen charges a 200 yen entry fee, meant to help fund projects to maintain endangered flora within the park and such. However, the cost is easily worth it and actually serves to keep the area relatively empty and quiet, making it a wonderful place to spend an afternoon.

The park is divided into three major areas, a french garden, a traditional Japanese garden, and English landscaping. The three are kept distinct by winding pathways through thick forest that serve as natural borders between not only these sections, but also as a natural wall to keep the cityscape out of the park.

Other than the occasional skyscraper looming in the distance, one can begin to forget that they are even in Tokyo. The effect is wonderful. I love cities, I really do, but I also love nature and knowing that I have a green refuge half a mile's walk away sets my mind at ease.

The park is an excellent spot for lunch - I enjoyed a bento purchased from a stall near Yotsuya Sanchome station in a small rest stop near the Okido entrance, while admiring the view above. Sure, it tacks an extra 200 yen to the cost of your lunch, but I don't think many restaurants can top that atmosphere.
Ultimately, a good day out! The rain mostly remained a drizzle for the day, and if anything added to the ambiance rather than detracted from it. Shinjuku Gyoen is a must see if you find yourself in Tokyo, even if (or perhaps especially if) the weather broadcast calls for rain.
No comments:
Post a Comment