Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Eating Out - "Salsa Cabana"

So I am told that Mexican food is new to Tokyo this year, and is a sudden craze... and I believe it, considering I've seen almost a dozen little Mexican joints around here.

Tonight, for kicks, I ate out at a place just north of Yotsuya Sanchome called Salsa Cabana. The atmosphere is nice, set up to look like, well, a cabana, with a weird mix of good but totally inappropriate music playing (JRock, JRap, and Bob Marley. Brilliant.) and Corona signs all about. The food is pretty standard fare, relatively inexpensive though a little higher than I would like to pay currently - a meal will run you between 600 and 1500 yen, and drinks are a little pricey but nothing painful. Having had a lack of any chicken since arriving in this country, I had chicken burritos and a margarita, which ran me about 13 bucks combined... I probably should have held off on the drink, but I figure the best way to judge any Mexican restaurant is if they can pull off a margarita.

The good news is, they can! Quite tasty, just the right amount of blending to leave it thick but drinkable, just the right about of tequila to make it strong but without overpowering the lime.

The burritos, pretty tasty, but nothing to die for. Then again, getting an infusion of tasty, well cooked chicken did make me pretty happy.

I guess it's a bit early to pass judgment, but so far, I'm pleased!

3 comments:

Toni said...

haha, hooray for partial authenticity! :) i guess getting authentically drunk is all that matters, because then you won't taste the food anyway.

Scott Jones said...

Tim this is ridiculous. I'm so happy that you not only ate at a Mexican restaurant in Japan, but you reviewed it as well.

This place sounds ridiculous, but I would definitely love a more thorough description of food next time. What was in this burrito? Believe it or not there's a raging debate as to what constitutes a "proper" burrito.

Glad to hear good things coming from across the world!

Scott Jones said...

P.S. Is there anyway to friend people on blogspot? I can't find it and I'd like to add this to that list if it exists.